How to wash your hands properly using 5 easy to remember steps
- Wet your hands by running them under water – it doesn’t matter if the water is warm or cold, as long as the water is clean.
- Lather up liquid or bar soap between your hands, applying the lather underneath your nails, between your fingers and to the backs of your hands too.
- Scrub your hands. How long should you wash your hands by scrubbing? 20 seconds at a minimum, interlacing your fingers and rubbing the backs of your hands and fingertips into the other palm to make sure all surface areas are cleaned.
- Rinse your hands under clean running water of any temperature.
- Dry your hands thoroughly using a powered hand dryer or a single-use paper towel. You may also wish to additionally apply hand sanitiser, rubbing this thoroughly into your hands to apply to all areas.